In 2011 former Information and Privacy Commissioner Denham created an External Advisory Board to enhance the Office's research, public education and policy work, and assist in identifying emerging issues affecting access and privacy.
At the Commissioner's direction, the External Advisory Board can:
- identify emerging technical, administrative and managerial issues affecting access to information and the protection of privacy
- bring forward information from constituency groups concerning the administration of the Acts
- identify knowledge gaps and recommend remedial public outreach strategies
- identify public education needs on privacy and information access issues
- identify subject areas requiring research and/or a policy response
- identify cost effective strategic alliances to further the mandate of the OIPC
- promote the independence and integrity of the OIPC and champion access and privacy rights in the Province of British Columbia
- comment on any other subject deemed relevant to promoting access and information rights.
Dr. Colin Bennett, Department of Political Science, University of Victoria
Dr. Peter Chow-White, School of Communication, Simon Fraser University
Dr. David Flaherty, former BC Information and Privacy Commissioner
Dr. Ben Goold, Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia
Dr. Jennifer Stoddart, former Privacy Commissioner of Canada