In 2011 the Information and Privacy Commissioner created an External Advisory Board to enhance the Office's research, public education and policy work, and to assist in identifying emerging issues affecting access and privacy.
At the Commissioner's direction, the External Advisory Board can:
- Identify emerging technical, administrative and managerial issues affecting access to information and the protection of privacy
- Bring forward information from constituency groups concerning the administration of the Acts
- Identify knowledge gaps and recommend remedial public outreach strategies
- Identify public education needs on privacy and information access issues
- Identify subject areas requiring research and/or a policy response
- Identify cost effective strategic alliances to further the mandate of the OIPC
- Promote the independence and integrity of the OIPC and champion access and privacy rights in the Province of British Columbia
- Comment on any other subject deemed relevant to promoting access and information rights.
Click here to read the complete Terms of Reference.
Dr. Colin Bennett, Department of Political Science, University of Victoria
Heather Black, former Assistant Privacy Commissioner of Canada
Dr. Peter Chow-White, School of Communication, Simon Fraser University
Dr. David Flaherty, former B.C. Information and Privacy Commissioner
Dr. Ben Goold, Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia
Click here to read the biographies of current Board Members.
Minutes of recent board meetings:
- Minutes of the October 20, 2016 meeting
- Minutes of the May 16 & 17, 2016 meeting
- Minutes of the August 27 & 28, 2015 meeting
- Minutes of the August 27 & 28, 2014 meeting
- Minutes of the May 1, 2014 meeting
- Minutes of the May 14, 2013 meeting
- Minutes of the Nov. 13, 2012 meeting
- Minutes of the Jun. 26, 2012 meeting
- Minutes of the Aug. 26, 2011 meeting
- Minutes of the Feb. 28, 2011 meeting